If you spend more than 3 months in Thailand, you can have a Thai driver’s license. But the international drivers’ licenses are also taken here. Some insurance companies have rules, written with the «small letters somewhere behind the documents» that anyhow but you need a Thai driver’s license not to pay much money in case of damages or accidents. Also you give many nice chances for the government when you’re driving with your international driver’s license.
There is one positive side: a domestic driver’s license can save your wallet from paying «farang prices». If you want to prove that you’re not a tourist – have a Thai driver’s license. One more thing: a Thai driver’s license can make police more polite and nice to you, they easily understand the fact that you can’t have your passport with you all the time.
If you want to get a Thai (international) driver’s license, then:
- Be at the age of 18 years and more. Be physically healthy, have healthy mind so nothing can cause a problem for you while driving.
- If the applicant is not Thai national, he must have a valid Non-Immigrant Visa (tourists can’t apply for Thai driver’s license).
To apply for your Thai driver’s license you need:
- If you can’t understand or read the Thai language, you’re allowed to have an interpreter to translate you the forms, tests and instructions.
- Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa
- Signed copies of the passport’s first page, the page with the current non-immigrant visa, the page with the last entry stamp and the TM-card.
- A certified letter of address from the applicant’s embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau.
- If you work in Thailand: have your work permit.
- You also need a doctor’s certificate that you’re healthy physically.
- Take 2 photos, 1 x 1 inch, they can’t be older than 6 months (photo service is available).
- You need your valid international driver’s license and signed photocopy or translated regular driving license from your home country
The process of application:
- Take the Thai language application form and fill out the form, you need the driver’s license for 1 year.
- Take these documents to another window and wait.
Then you go to the 3rd floor, there you have to pass 3 tests:
1) Color Blindness Test: you should read the colours without any mistakes.
2) Reflex Test: it’s very easy to pass, you just have to look at the green and red light (like you’re driving a car) and push the pedal the right moment.
3) Depth Perception Test: Use buttons to link the moving pin with the fixed one.
As you pass all the tests, your documents will be signed and given back to you. You have to pay 105 Baht as a fee. After they call your name, you put some more signatures and now you have a Thai driver’s license valid for 1 year. You can give it to tne office behind this building where nice men will laminate and cut your documents.
It is enough simple and easy to get a driver’s license in Thailand, it doesn’t need much time and efforts to get.
Your visa must be NON-immigrant, but I know that someone received the driver’s license even with a tourist visa.
The algorithm is clear.
- National rights must be translated into English and ensured in the Embassy.
- Have a certificate of residence in Thailand.
- The medical certificate can be taken at any hospital, it costs about 200 baht.
Take these documents to the police and then, after you pass the tests for reaction and vision, you have a certificate for a year. It costs 120 baht.