Rent a car in Phuket in 2021-2022. What documents are needed
What has changed since the COVID-19 pandemic?
After the pandemic, the car rent in Phuket is still easy.
What documents will be needed to do a car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022?
To do a car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022 you will need:
The original passport of the tenant (usually companies take a photo of your passport, check the visa and the date of arrival) NB! Never leave your passport with a valid visa as a deposit! This practice is common in Thai local car and motorbikes rental companies. This is illegal and you can prove your point easily at any car rental office.
• A valid driver’s license or international driving license.
According to the Vienna Convention of 1968, the convention countries recognize each other’s national driving licenses without the need of getting an international license.
Convention on Road Traffic- Vienna, 8 November 1968)
There are 33 countries, where the convention is ratified: Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Uruguay, Senegal, Liberia, Gabon, Australia, United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Belarus, Moldova, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, Spain, Germany, Netherlands,Belgium, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Italy, Austria, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Malta, Albania, Portugal, and Palestine.
The signatory states that have not ratified the convention are: Ivory Coast, DR Congo, United States, Brazil, Bosnia and Herzegovina, South Korea, Japan, Serbia, Montenegro, Morocco, Egypt, Sudan, Burkina Faso, Benin, Zambia.
But! As always, there is “but” in Thailand. If you have an international license, no police officer will fine you 300-500 baht for not having an international driver’s license.
In one word, this is Thailand.
• the driver must be at least 18 years old (in some places even 21 years old)
• payment of rent and deposit depends on the renter’s company. We strongly discourage companies that freeze credit card deposits as after the end of the lease term, the lessor company can withdraw, WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION, money from credit cards for up to two months (for speeding, improper parking, etc.)
• Invoice with a company stamp (if you book a car online). If you decide to make a prepayment to the company, ask for an invoice with the company’s stamp. Prepayment can be made through an online bank of almost any country to a Thai card
The police now checks the same documents as before the COVID-19 pandemic. You will also need the original driver’s license in case of an accident (of course, we want to avoid this practice). If an accident does occur, NEVER LEAVE THE AREA. If you did car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022, the same rules apply with the insurance.
When the car is insured, you have nothing to worry about, insurance companies cover damage to individuals and property. The most important thing is to check the insurance, it can be both business insurance and first class insurance.
What to do with the deposit for car rent in Phuket? Do a car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022
All rental companies in Thailand take a deposit for the car. And this is a normal practice for the whole world. Credit card deposit, YES OR NO? It’s you who decides.
So, what are the disadvantages of car rental companies that take your credit card instead of deposit
– A deposit of 30,000-45,000 baht can be frozen on your card. The tenant company may immediately warn about this, you must have funds on this card.
After you returned the car and came back home, car rental company can debit money from your card up to two months, without your consent. The amount of the deposit can be written off: fines for violation of traffic rules, speed, parking, etc. The cost of gasoline, the cost of repairing a car, if something is scratched or windows are broken.
• Therefore, think more than once before doing a car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022 in a company where the deposit is frozen on your card. They can freeze both 5 and 8, or even 40 thousand baht, and the deposit on the card should be unfrozen upon the expiration of the banking period for freezing money. Somewhere it is 30 days, but somewhere it’s 60. Be prepared for the fact that this money will not be available for you to use.
Deposit: online transfer or cash. WITHOUT using a credit card.
• Usually local brands use a deposit of 5000, 7000 or 10000 baht, depending on the class of the car (car rent Phuket in 2021-2022). So, what to take into consideration here: if this is an online transfer to a Thai card, then, of course, save your receipt.
If it is a cash payment for doing car rent in Phuket in 2021-2022, take a few photos with the contract. This is usually enough and in case of disagreement with the rental, and contacting the police, the Thai police will be on your side if you do all of the above.